IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Send Your Feedback for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great and welcome update ! Thumbs up

I'm glad that you give WindowsApps defragmentation a bigger focus (which means that defragmentation on that point takes somewhat longer though - but every speedup of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 is highly welcome)

The last real speed improvement I saw using defrag programs, coming from Windows XP was on Windows Vista (if I remember correctly) - every defrag program I used on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 so far - either seemed to make no (noticable) change at all or things worse, with the consequence that startup times increased [WD Black Hdd, unfortunately no SSD here]

Smart Defrag 4 looks promising :-)

2 Points that needs your closer attention:

- Smart Defrag -> Defrag and Prioritize Files (Slow) seems to make some change - Fragmentation Rate before and after are the same though ? (prior and after job -> Analyze)

- Game Defrag -> seems to work fine with supported games ? (e.g. Mass Effect 3); but it doesn't seem to do anything when manually adding a game such as e.g. Dragon Age Inquisition (DragonAgeInquisition.exe); might be related to "Defrag and Prioritize Files (Slow)" ?

- Defrag and Fully Optimize seems to make some change

- Defrag and Fast Optimize also seems to make some change

- Defrag Only also seems to make some change

that's all for now :idea:

edit:

the troubling data (mostly game data, some large videos, music) ist on a partition separate from the windows partition (976 GB, 818 GB free)

Fragmentation seems to stay constantly at 2,59%

Fragments of Dragon Age Inquisition 4064 [which is of most concern]

I'll see what data Smart Defrag 3 provides

no edit possible anymore ?

Smart Defrag 3 provides the same analyzed data,

running on account with administrator privileges (Windows default) with maximum UAC security level applied

SD3 requests administrator rights during launch, SD4 does not (?)

maybe it's an issue with windows and permissions that disk management isn't possible without requesting higher privileges ?

Okay I have a beef. On both my PCs when I set Smart Defrag 4 to shutdown my pc when done defraging it doesn't shut down the pc. It appears to start the shutdown process then it stops, or hangs.

Hi scurfie,

Thanks for your feedback.

To look into the issue, please take the steps as follows:

1) Please check whether you can repeat the issue. If you can, please send us the related screenshots.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Mattazzoli,

Happy to hear that you love our Smart Defrag v4.

For the issue " Fragmentation Rate is the same after Defrag and Prioritize Files (Slow)", please download the tool from http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD4InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

For the issue about Game defrag- it doesn't seem to do anything when manually adding a game, we will do a test.

For the question " SD3 requests administrator rights during launch, SD4 does not (?)", SD4 allow you to install for all users for the current PC.

Hi Guys,

@ all, Sincerely thanks for all your feedbacks. :-) It is really happy that so many of you love our Smart Defrag v4 and so many of you give us your suggestions and feedbacks to help us improve SD.Thumbs up

I am really sorry that I can not reply all your posts one by one. But I recorded all your feedbacks. :-)

Welcome more suggestions and feedbacks. We will continue to make improvements according to your feedbacks. Cheers. :-):oops:

Hi Mattazzoli,

Happy to hear that you love our Smart Defrag v4.

For the issue " Fragmentation Rate is the same after Defrag and Prioritize Files (Slow)", please download the tool from http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD4InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

For the issue about Game defrag- it doesn't seem to do anything when manually adding a game, we will do a test.

For the question " SD3 requests administrator rights during launch, SD4 does not (?)", SD4 allow you to install for all users for the current PC.

Hi Cicely,

thanks for your quick answer !

That's quite a lot of information the tool gathered,

can you please post the email address where to upload that zip-file to ?

I'm hesitant to upload that data to the forum here as an attachment

I believe I figured out (just now) what that issue was (and it defragmentated successfully !)

There's an icon (or quick launcher) in the notification area that gets launched during Windows startup

When starting up SD4 from there via

right click -> Open Smart Defrag

and attempting to defragment things

it simply launches and "does" things but not doesn't really seem able to do anything at all

after clicking on the Desktop icon -> it requests adminstrator rights (Do you want to allow the following programs to make changes to the computer ?)

windows key -> (arrow down) -> typing in Smart -> clicking in Smart Defrag 4 -> it requests adminstrator rights, too

When using Smart Defrag 4 after it had been launched in that way - it seems to offer results/gets the job done :)

Meanwhile Smart Defrag 3 did the job (yesterday, CET), so I'll look for way to get some additional fragments on M:\ drive (where the game data, ... is) to get Smart Defrag 4 to a test

there also was an mp3 left with one fragment and that got defragmented by Smart Defrag 4 after being launched with the elevated rights

Thanks !

Hi!

Since I found Iobit software back in '04 (?), I've been using/loving the software!

Smart Defrag has been a staple since the 1st offering.

With Smart Defrag v3, you introduced "prioritize files"..and no matter how hard I dig, I can't seem to find out what that means versus "optimize files"!

The only thing that I can see, is; when you use the 'optimize' setting, all the green, (or frequently used), files move to the top of the UI rendition..(presumably, closer to the center of the disk).

When I use the 'prioritize' setting, this does not happen, (in the UI rendition), and the file-colors seem to be 'randomly' placed. Just what IS the difference?

Now, on to the newest version, 4 Beta 01.

The new UI is nice. more 'graphic' in displaying separate drives/partitions , so, I assume, better for people with visual/reading/etc. impairments. This is always GOOD!

Using the program to defrag more than one disk/partition at a time, I see that they no longer run simultaneously, thus, using less CPU. (still maxes out the disk usage, so, I still get slowdown while doing other things)

I will post more at a future time, as I get used to the program and test it's abilities more..like the Gaming portion.

Thanks

I just opened and used Smart Defrag 4, I use this software consistently. I work on computers at my job to free up computer space/make things run faster, I mainly use Advance SystemCare 8 and finish it off with Smart Defrag. This software comes with SSD trimmer and makes my life 20 times easier when moving and manually trying to free up space. So thank you so much IObit! you have out done yourself again!

Just installed beta update. When program opens, the "Disk Defrag" panel is a blank black tab with only the "Smart Optimize" and "Analyze" buttons at the bottom -- not the picture on the website.

Hi Newby

Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you may have gotten a bad download. You should uninstall it and download and install it again. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

You should go to the News & Offers section of the forum to get the latest download.

I'd prefer advanced options, and the ability to FORCE a setting of "SSD" on a certain drive. It's obvious your software cannot detect a SSD Raid on an Intel RST chipset.

I don't like the new interface. The ridiculously large disk icons that scroll pages and pages is a waste of space. A simple list of drives is much more preferred. Stop pretending that everything needs a tablet interface. A tablet uses flash storage, and thus won't require defragmentation. It's desktop users with mechanical hard drives that are using a defragmentation utility. So how about ditching the finger interface?

Ok, I do like the multi-window status of multiple defrags, but can't I have more than one running at the same time? Why? My system certainly has the RAM, bandwidth, and CPU horespower to do this. It would be nice to have all of these panels tiled, and not be forced into that tiny window

Speed... Uh... did you insert turtles into the defragmentation code? Holy cow it is so much slower. It appears to stall on some files for no reason, sit for minutes at a time, then go back to whatever it was doing. Note, these files are not big.

I do like the VSS toggle option.

What's the point of "defragmenting Windows/Metro Apps"? This is not clearly explained, as aren't these just files too? My Windows Apps reside on my SSD Raid. I really don't want defrags lowering the life of my SSDs.

Some thoughts:

• Now days people have larger displays with higher resolutions for their desktops and even laptops. Stop assuming everyone has a tiny tablet, phone, or the need to use their finger. Portable devices have Flash storage and do not need defragmenters. Stop making your interface for tablets. It's annoying for those with a large screen and mouse. A defragmenting utility is not a frilly toy. It's use and purpose should be highly functional and with as much information available as possible. While I do support an initial screen that is simplified for those of us that have set this up for family to use, I do not support the "moron mode" for configuration and advanced usage. At the very least, allow me to turn that off.
  • Allow a bit more customization for the defrag status. Allow the "blocks" to be sizeable. I'd like to have more detail on the disk display, especially for my large Raid-5 arrays.
  • Allow a resizeable window, and not just the fullscreen toggle.
  • When each file name is shown on the defrag display, also show its number of fragments being consolidated.
  • It would be nice to be able to customize the interface, especially coloring (not just the color blind mode).

Game defrag is particularly good, as games are often updated once every week or so!

Game defrag should have the ability to deselect/select all games so i can select one at a time. Manually deselecting 20 games was annoying.

Game defrag should recognise the major game distribution companies game folders... like Steam, origin, GOG locations.

As they are fixed locations, it should not be too hard! and will cover most games.

There is no information whether game defrag just defrags files, or optimizes - stores them at the same location on the disk for faster accessing.

Just want to comment on the new defrag beta. I usually do not like to mess with beta products as normally they are "buggy" but took the chance on this. I have never had one problem with your product and have been using it for years. It has kept my PC as quick as it was the day I purchased it.

?

I do like the new user interface, you were right, it is a lot easier for a beginner to navigate and use. This would be my wife. She has only recently started with computer maintenance and this makes much more sense to her.

?

Like I mentioned earlier, I have never had 1 issue with your product and that was why I felt confident in downloading your SmartDefrag 4 beta for testing.

?

Thanks again!