IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Send Your Feedback for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

@ ACCPresidentLB, Happy to hear that you love our Smart Defrag v4.

For the issue "Defrag & Prioritize, do you mean it is different in manual defrag and Scheduled Defrag? Because Defrag Only is only available in Auto Defrag.

Hey Cicely, yes, regarding "Defrag & Prioritize" in Schedule Defrag... When I run this overnight, then compare it with a run when I get up in the morning and do a manual "Defrag & Prioritize", you would think it would maybe take a couple seconds to only defrag any files used in the idle state after the scheduled run. However, I on several times of doing this process, I have seen where it may take 5-10 minutes for the manual "D&P" to redo & "correct" what was done during the Scheduled "D&P". The Analyze map also confirms that the Defrag isn't the same, even though the Settings for both styles of defrag are the same. Please remember I am referring to previous versions of SD is when I have seen this happen. Unknown if this is the case in SD4 beta and I will attempt this tomorrow & get back to you on whether I see this happen in SD4.

For the suggestion " add an area going across that shows a progress bar for each partition/drive that is similar to the temp meters on the Performance Monitor of ACS8", could you please describe it more clealry with rleated screenshots? Do you mean

I took another screenshot to add here of the window I am referring to at Fullscreen, hopefully the image is more readable. Looking at this screen, you see the defrag map of the partition/drive you are in the tab for. I am suggesting in a small area above the drive tabs, have a meter for each drive to show the progress of all the drives. For example: you in the tab viewing the defragging being done for the C drive, all you (the user) would have to do is glance upwards and see the progress of the other drives being defrag simultaneously where the meter would show progress done, and underneath that meter you would see an estimate time of completion for that drive/partition to complete. Now keep in mind, like someone else brought to your attention in an earlier post and I did too after double-checking the post I read, currently with SD4, the GUI is showing that it defrags each drive back to back, whereas in previous SD versions, the drives did actually defrag simultaneously. If this is to return to the program, which I hope will, then my suggestion would be an added plus, allowing the users to review the status of all defragging w/o the flipping of the tabs.In the second screenshot, you see the meters I was referring to, just make the same meters only have them display the defrag process of the drives in a percent of the drive completed and the would fill as the drive percent completed goes towards completion. Hope that gives a better visual for you all to work with regarding what I'm suggesting.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Cicely,

Noticed something that is confusing me... So you guys get a clear picture, I have my HS partitioned into 3 parts{ C Drive being Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, which is for OS only and files that have to be w/ the OS, D Drive is my Applications Drive which is al my Apps, and E Drive is my Data Storage. So... After a couple manual Defrags, I noticed that C & E drives defragged normally, comparing before & after numbers and seeing a slight improvement on both, meaning that those are defragged properly. However, this is what is confusing me, my D Drive is defragged with no improvement from before & after and has some red (fragmented) clusters). Thinking about this and considering that I have a approx. 24 GB game installed on that drive And had did a Game defrag prior, I suspected that the re clusters may be in fact my game and could be isolated for that purpose. Does this sound correct, or can you all explain for me? I'm attaching a screenshot to show ya what I'm talking about!

Thanks!

Regarding this post, you can ignore this question due to the fact that after reading the posts, I did a little investigation of my own and found the problem. However, I did find a bug in the settings and can confirm what an earlier post stated. In an earlier post, someone stated that the setting for "skipping files larger than" option was unchecked, but his report had large files that was skipped. So, when I setup my settings for yesterday's defrags, I left this box un-checked as well, because I wanted a very complete defrag of my HD. The slider bar for the setting was set at files larger than 100MB. Today, I went back into that setting and slid the bar it 10GB, however this shouldn't have matter because the checkbox was still clear. I then did a manual Defrag w/ Prioritizing Files, and am now getting a complete Defrag, to include the D Drive with my game that has some very large files in it. Currently, I can now confirm that all fragments are being corrected, however, the bug is in the fact that whether or not the checkbox for skipping files is checked or not, the setting bar for skipping files IS still being applied to the program, even when it shouldn't be. I'm not posting the debug info file as of yet, since I see no real need now, however, if you still need it, please inform me & I'll send via PM message or something.

Update: As I was writing this post, my defrag did complete and is completely done properly with all fragments corrected. Until this bug is corrected, I can recommend that users temporarily set the "skip files larger than" bar to 10 GB, so that they can get a complete defrag until beta 2 comes out.

This is what I've noticed as a problem about Automatic Defrag. When it is performed, it pauses if resource usage exceeds 60% (set by default). The problem is that it doesn't continue defrag that easily then - even if system idle exceeds again much more than 5 minutes (set by default).

So, I think that SD4 should care more about forcing the Automatic Defrag to continue the defraging process once it's paused.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased what I've seen in SD4 for now. ;)

On system tray hover shows a mapping of the drives. A visual of how the drives look with the windows 10 start menu layout would be cool. That however isn't entirely necessary as I personally like the program better than any other defragmenter out. Thank you IObit!

I'll give feedback based on (a) my experience with Smart Defrag back to v2, (b) your stated major changes and © other things I found.

Speed and efficiency are, by far, the most important factors from my perspective. Smart Defrag has demonstrated a marked improvement on both fronts from v2 to v4. The new defrag engine indeed manages to function more quickly with less resources, which is definitely a welcome improvement.

As I do not have an SSD, the added SSD Trim functionality does nothing for me.

As I use my computer almost entirely for routine personal and business use, the added game defrag functionality does nothing for me. RECOMMENDATION: Have setting to hide "Game Defrag" tab for those who don't use/need it.

I tested analysis/defragmentation of v4 against v3. While v4 is faster in both facets, it does not appear to actually free any more drive space in relation to v3. I'm not sure there is a viable difference.

The UI is indeed simpler. The more visual interface, while aesthetically pleasing and in line with current software trends, takes away from what Smart Defrag is: namely a PC optimization utility. As such, functionality is far more important to me than visual appearance. Several things make the UI inferior to v3:

1. Reporting is not obvious. With v3, we have a Report tab with relevant info on the particular drive. With v4, we have to click on details AFTER running Analyze. This is far from obvious. Once the user clicks the "Back" button, the user would have to run "Analyze" again to see the in-program report. RECOMMENDATIONS: (1) Be able to click on particular drive on main menu to view last "Details" (perhaps in a popup screen) without having to go through the Analyze process. (2) Have tooltip on each drive icon on main menu that provides last defrag summary, including last defrag date, files & directories, fragments and frag rate

In addition, users must click on Report in the toolbar (not obvious), go through Windows Explorer to the directory housing the HTML reports, then open the report in a browser. In v3, the "View Reports" link is much more obvious, although the same Windows Explorer process is used. While the new html report is better presented than the v3 report, the fact we have to go through such a roundabout way to get to any kind of reportable data is, at best, annoying. RECOMMENDATION: place a "Reports" link next to the "Details" link on the Analyze screen and/or place "Reports" link at bottom of each drive graphic (ie below Boot Time Defrag selection) on the main menu.

2. Automatic Defrag trend data is no longer available. In v3, we have an Automatic Defrag tab that highlights when the last auto defrag was conducted, as well as tracks the last several auto defrags in a simple display that helps users understand auto defrag's impact (ie defragmented files). That no longer exists in v4. In fact, other than the html report, there is no last auto defrag history/trending available. RECOMMENDATION: Add "History" link next to "Details" link on Analyze screen and use same Map/Details area to show historical stats. You could also add a "History" link similar to the "Reports" link recommended above on the main menu.

3. The Stop button doesn't stop anything except the estimated time display. The gear in the tab continues to spin. The Reports and More Settings selections on the top toolbar are unavailable. In addition, the program doesn't respond to a request to exit via the tray icon context menu, forcing the user to go through task manager to close the program. RECOMMENDATION: Allow user to actually stop the analysis and go back to the main screen or exit program if analysis stopped.

I am certain there is a way to move the UI forward as you have and still retain the functionality/organization better seen in v3.

What's Missing/Broken:

1. Ability to set different defrag parameters to different drives. Perhaps a user wants to trigger auto defrag on one drive at 1% and another at 3%. RECOMMENDATION: Provide options per drive.

2. Initiating Smart Defrag on a particular drive through the Windows Explorer context menu starts the analysis as expected. Unfortunately, the analysis takes about three times as long (minimum) on the same drive compared to if the user initiated the analyze process in Smart Defrag directly. RECOMMENDATION: Identify/resolve time difference between initiating analysis via Smart Defrag itself and its context menu.

3. Ability to defrag individual files or directories works extremely slowly. Loading a file or directory through the v4 interface, then analyzing (the loading file/directory only, no other drives selected) takes forever. For example, I selected a 3MB pdf to analyze. Analysis stalls at 99% with Estimated TIme listed as N/A and doesn't complete. User cannot stop process either (as detailed above). Going through the Windows Explorer context menu is slightly different. For the same 3MB pdf, analysis gets stuck at 20% with Estimated Time continuing to climb (I finally pulled the plug at 10 minutes Estimated Time). On a few occasions, pressing Stop will actually show the analysis completed, but mostly is just hangs. RECOMMENDATION: Fix it. I have no idea how, but this option needs to be fixed or removed (I Would much prefer fixed).

As it stands, v4 is a slight improvement overall, but could go much further with UI and functionality improvements as highlighted above.

Cheers!

Chuck

Hi all, i am new on this forum ;) !

I use Smart defrag from v2, and I am very satisfied !

Now for this beta v4 my initial findings are a bit faster program, best estimation time, défragmantation best files it in continuity on the disk, better interface, more intuitive and user-friendly !

It lacks a scandisk before boot-time defragmentation is best for the system files before they are moved

Thanks a lot for this software free !

Me gustan mucho los productos de Iobit pero veo que a esta Beta le falta mejorar la UI, en cuanto a velocidad si es mas veloz que la version 3 pero detecta menos fragmentos espero que lo optimicen al maximo.

As per Forum rules, please post in English.

My feedback: SD is slowly starting to become an all in one cleaner. Not sure if cleaning some things X2 is wise or not (Ccleaner is basically doing what ur disk cleanup does)

The defrag is much quicker! and the UI is much slicker

My one issue is the game booster-- Does a general drive scan include fragmented game files anyways? Either you have it displayed in a 2nd window for more information/confirm game files are being reached and cleaned or its a window for adding game installs/shortcuts.

Suppose what im saying is the game defrag is all over the place at the moment. I also do NOT like that the report opens another browser window-- why not have it built to display inside the app? also whatever algorithm ur using to scan for games under game defrag is a little whack- it found maybe 10/70 games-- which is weird because i saw it scan inside the steamapps folder so you'd think it would find all the others but, just letting you guys know

So to sum up my thoughts SDv4 is looking great! the game defrag needs more centralized information (in app scan report), more game detection, maybe more options for the user? (open game data location/uninstall/)

More so id recommend either integrating more of the game defrag into the main defrag screen or enhance the game defrag page to be worth checking out (more information). Right now disk defrag does exactly what the game defrag does except its not focused on games so..keep that in mind--- swing one way or the other with it IMO

Smart Defrag 4 beta 1 is excellent: It uses less CPU, in runs a LOT faster on my computer (very noticeable on the fast optimize scan mode), the visualisations are much better, and the real-time status is a major improvement to the program.

Still I have few comments and ideas: since it was never accurate (and by large differences between the valuation and the reality), you might want to consider dumping the process's time estimation, and replace it with the percents completed, or number of file fragments, or the fragmentation rate. Also, in the new game defragmentation, I have a user interference recommendation - instead of sliding through pages to view all games, in a certain number of games, you should allow to scroll wide-screen, so we'll be able to see any game we wish. Also, when adding the games to the game defragmentation, i believe some of us would like to have the option to arrange the in any order we like, other than arranging them in a time-added order.

Although my comments and ideas paragraph is rather long, I greatly enjoy the program, and it is greatly improved this time.

Keep on the good job iObit!

P.S. sorry if I had any grammar/tenses mistakes (i'm not from an English-speaking country), hope it was clear and helpful enough.

Hi ZIv_Ger,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion. It seems that you sent the Email, too.

I have reported the suggestions to our forum for consideration.

@betty89104, Torholt and betty89104, happy to hear that you are satisfied with our products.

If you have any sugegstions or issues, please feel free to tell us.

Your support will be our greatest stimulus to make improvements. Cheers. :-)

Hi All,

@all, happy to hear that you love our new Smart Defrag v4.

@ cwfrizzell, sincerely thanks for your precious suggestions and feedbacks. Your suggestions and feedbacks are really valuable. I will report all of them to our product team for consideration. And hope we can make improvements according to your feedback.

We can not see how much we thank you. Cheers. :-)

Hi, Smart Defrag 4 Beta 1.0 run good on my HP notebook i7 with Win8.1. The after and before execution there is a performance notice . Its a good Idea to offer the "Game Defrag" option. Maybe to change the tray Icon to avoid confusioon with the old SmartDefrag version?? Keep up the good work :-)