IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Send Your Feedback for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

2. Boot time defrag

This is a very nice inclusion, Smart Defrag is the only free utility I know of that includes this option. I did note however that there doesn't seem to be a option to only run a boot time defrag at the users request. Putting a option in to only run a boot time defrag when the user schedules it would make a lot of sense.

3. Disk cleanup prior to defrag

This is a great little addition to have and just makes sense. I would like to see this expanded a bit though to include all but the 3 most recent Windows restore points. We all know how Windows loves to gobble up space with restore points ;).

Hi ketxxx

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for your indepth feedback and suggestions. I am sure it will be of great interest to both users and Iobit.

With regard to Boot time Defrag.....the user has the option to turn off boot time defrag in the UI. The users can then run Boot time Defrag at a time oh their choosing rather than the provided options. | would agree that it would be nice to have a dynamic user scheduling facility which would allow user to set their own user schedule.

With regard to the suggestion to remove all but the last 3 restore points.....I would prefer that an option be given as to how many restore points a user would like to retain. With a lot of software automatically creating restore points, 3 restore points may only constitute one days data, which would not be much help if a system failure occurred. I personally keep at least 2 weeks restore points and this has save my bacon many times.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interface is really problematic. Switching between parts of it take away other parts -- such as hitting "finish" after a defrag takes you away from the ability to view the drive and the status/results with no way to return without re-running defrag or analysis. The launching of a browser to show results is very annoying as well. It feels like about eight different applications with an overlay shell to switch between them. Un-intuitive and frustrating.

Hi ketxxx

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for your indepth feedback and suggestions. I am sure it will be of great interest to both users and Iobit.

With regard to Boot time Defrag.....the user has the option to turn off boot time defrag in the UI. The users can then run Boot time Defrag at a time oh their choosing rather than the provided options. | would agree that it would be nice to have a dynamic user scheduling facility which would allow user to set their own user schedule.

With regard to the suggestion to remove all but the last 3 restore points.....I would prefer that an option be given as to how many restore points a user would like to retain. With a lot of software automatically creating restore points, 3 restore points may only constitute one days data, which would not be much help if a system failure occurred. I personally keep at least 2 weeks restore points and this has save my bacon many times.

I see the option now to turn off boot time defragging, I'm not sure how I missed that. I get what you mean with restore points, I've just always found 3 restore points enough. I don't let my software auto update though if I get a problem I update things myself as its a much more controlled environment that way ;)

The interface is really problematic. Switching between parts of it take away other parts -- such as hitting "finish" after a defrag takes you away from the ability to view the drive and the status/results with no way to return without re-running defrag or analysis. The launching of a browser to show results is very annoying as well. It feels like about eight different applications with an overlay shell to switch between them. Un-intuitive and frustrating.

The reporting opening in a web browser instead of a built-in analysis window is a bit disjointed granted but its not that bad. Especially if you have had to get used to the terrible Diskeeper 2012 UI.

So far I was really impressed with the clean looking graphics. The Trimming function on my primary SSD ran smooth. Setup seemed easy as well. It would be great when doing an optimize or actually any defrag if the tooltip icon showed progress. I like how it's going to power through all my drives one by one.

I think the New outlook of smart defrag 4 is good but need that muittask its missing while you are running it soo you can run other defrags or go to options at the same time its running and becareful if you install over defrag 3 verson as it will corruption the files of defrag 3 from not running and cause some issues

Hello Just thought I let you know at first it was not recognizing my Hard disk that was format as basic Tell I change it to dynamic don't know why it did that but thought I share with you what has happened With me it was on one of my Seagate 1TB drives that I used for storage

The icon shows up sometimes. Most times doesn't show in toolbar. Open task-mgr it shows running

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please describe the situation more clearly with related screenshots?

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I'm using Smart Defrag v4 Beta 1.0 and it is working very well for me. It doesn't register my primary drive as an SSD for some reason so I have had to manually exclude it.

I have some feedback and suggestions:

1 - Resizing the main screen has an issue. To replicate, reduce the screen so that the little dots appear under the Drive boxes and then scroll right. Now maximize the Window. The display should scroll to the left again but it doesn't and the scroll option has been removed so I can't get back to them without restoring the window back to it's smaller size first.

2 - On the Details screen (after performing Analysis) I would like to be able to:

a) Click a column to sort it

b) Right-click a file for options such as "Defrag File" and "Open File Location"

Hi TechnoTone,

Thanks for your feedback.

For resizing the main screen issue, actually, it will display all your disks when you maximize the Window. Thus, you do not need the scroll option to check all disks.

And when you right-click a file or folder, you can defrag it by Smart Defrag.

Thanks for your other suggestion. I will report it to our product team for consideration.

Hi ketxxx,

Thanks for your detailed reply and suggestion.

I will report your suggestions to our product team for consideration.

Welcome more suggestions and feedbacks fo Smart Defrag v4. We will continue to make improvements according to your feedbacks.

Have a nice day.:-)

I think the New outlook of smart defrag 4 is good but need that muittask its missing while you are running it soo you can run other defrags or go to options at the same time its running and becareful if you install over defrag 3 verson as it will corruption the files of defrag 3 from not running and cause some issues

Hi Colby,

Please describe the issue " if you install over defrag 3 verson as it will corruption the files of defrag 3 from not running and cause some issues" more clearly so that we can look into it? Andy error message?

Looking forward to hear from you

Hi ketxxx,

Thanks for your detailed reply and suggestion.

I will report your suggestions to our product team for consideration.

Welcome more suggestions and feedbacks fo Smart Defrag v4. We will continue to make improvements according to your feedbacks.

Have a nice day.:-)

No problem, I'll look forward to testing a new version of smart defrag :) If any clarification on my term "straggler data" is needed let me know and I'll get a screenshot and better describe what I'm talking about.

I miss the indication of free space/total space for each drive. This is useful as my C: drive can be 90% full, and I can see at a glance whether I should do a disk cleanup prior to running defrag, or not.. Ah! I see it now behind the blue bar on the dashboard. In which case I change my post to suggest the details are removed from over the bar which makes the figures somewhat unreadable. Alternatively, tone down the bright blue so the details are more easy to read.

After testing and compared with version 3

I was expecting more than this.... Added option and delete other..

i like when i clean up junkfiles in v3 without defrag , in v4 not here

graphics don't like it

UI it's more flat more 2d version 3 is better to me ( v3 like windows 7 v4 like xp modern ) |;-) I was waiting for many new options in graphics more 3d and i like the option in Defraggler when i see bloks and more option when i click blocks show me file detail it's very good Thumbs up

v4 not Supports xfat :-(way not

i hope to see change in future with graphics and some options back ,

v4 not bad it good nice work guys

Russian translation is not a very good feeling that translated through Google translator -_-

Hi Defoz,

Your know Smart Defrag is translated by warmhearted users. The translations might not be so perfect. If you can help us improve the translation, we appreciate. You can send you suggestions here or directly at sdfeedback@iobit.com

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi Raging_Donut ,Propellerhead and makaveli01,

Thanks for your feedbacks and precious suggestions. I will report the suggestions to our product team for consideration.

Have a nice day.:-):-):-)

Hello Cicely,

So been running SD4 beta 2 for the past few days since its released, and I gotta say, it seems to be running smooth. I set Schedule Defrag at night to "Defrag & Prioritize Files", let it do its thing, get up in the morning, I notice the window is up and ready to be informed to "Finish". I ran it again to just confirm it done what its suppose to do with same option on manual, and it takes less than a minute to defrag. Works like a charm for my type of setup. I went to test the setting option bug I reported earlier w/ beta 1 regarding the "Skip files large than", I kept the setting unchecked, but move the bar to 100MB instead of 10GB, ran a manual "Defrag & Prioritize Files". Defrag ran for a minute or 2, then once it was complete, I went to view report, and confirmed that the defrag DID NOT skip any files. This confirmed for me that that bug is corrected.

Couple things come to mind that you all might want to consider prior to final release. First, as nice as it is to have an estimated time for completion, I found that it’s completely inaccurate. In the previous run I was talking about, I watched the est. time climb up to 25 minutes for my C Drive to complete, then the drive did complete a couple seconds later. The whole physical drive only took maybe 2 minutes for the program to do the whole Defrag put each drive estimated time was way higher than the actual time it took to defrag. If you can fix this, AWESOME, however, if you can't, then I would consider losing it all together. Only other suggestions I would give is:

1) An addition to the Disk Defrag tab, above the Disk Drive icons, have the info of last Defrag done and type of Defrag preformed... I know this info is given when you mouse over the system tray icon for SD4, but it would be really nice to have that info be right in front of you as soon you open SD4 window opens up.

2) I know I mentioned this before, but if it's possible, I believe it would be great if the simultaneous Defrag of multiple drives be returned from SD3 w/ the speed of the current consecutive Defrag algorithm. Also, I repeat my suggestion of meters above Defragging window if you bring the simultaneous defragging back, where these meters would show in one place the actual percentage of completion of defragging of each drive “in real time”. I suggested this back in post #50 of this thread.

Overall, I’m really impressed with SD4, since I got tired of the resource hog “Diskeeper” became, and had to spend many hours of testing and infecting my machine w/ BOGUS system defragging software that where just programs designed to infect your machine deliberately. SD has been my defragging software of choice for about a year now, even though I have been using ASC for longer than that. Sorry, it just took me a while to get off of Diskeeper with its “Defragging as it writes new files to the Hard Drive”. That feature was AWESOME, but as the program progressed, it became a severe “resource hog”.